The Friends of the Boyne River (FoBR) held its annual meeting on August 9 th at the Boyne City Veterans Memorial Park pavilion. Nearly 50 members enjoyed a wonderful barbecued chicken and potluck meal. Wednesday was the perfect evening for friends to visit and share stories.
Following dinner and review of the annual financial report President Adam Kennedy asked for oral confirmation of the slate of officers. Incumbents Suzie Dickow, Shari Rhoads and Michael Ryan were reelected to the board. Members Matt Claugherty and Gow Litzenburger were welcomed to their first terms.
A summary of this years projects was given, they include the following:
– Hosting monthly speakers to discuss pertinent environmental or recreational topics.
– Keeping the river free of environmentally harmful water balloons during forth of July activities.
– Hosting world renowned scientists who will be studying the Boyne River watershed over the next several years to develop predictive modeling to better understand river conditions and aquatic species habitat in advance.
– the awarding of Marie Zoberski’s scholarship to Ann Durbin and Grace Ellwanger .
– The annual Founders Award ( ” paddle award ” ) for outstanding service to the organization was presented to Gary Osterbeck by Marie Sheets. Gary has done an outstanding job of photographing the entire Boyne River ecosystem, a process that took over three years. Gary’s four-part slide show set to music, is featured here on our website.
Special thank you goes to Boyne River Adventures for donating a kayak trip won by Mark Contrucci and Chitra Singh.