This is the fifth year the Friends of the Boyne River have joined other volunteers across Northern Michigan for a six river clean up, which was held on August 19 , 2017.
Northern Michigan River Sweep participants annually walk the river banks and float the rivers collecting trash along 100 river miles of the Boyne, Jordan, Maple, Bear, Pigeon and Sturgeon Rivers. This year the Boyne River Sweep was well attended. Several people canoed the river picking up trash and others went by car to stream crossings.
Four years ago the event was organized by Ethan Winchester of Boyne Outfitters with major support from American Rivers – National River Cleanup. Several groups coordinated activities on specific rivers:
* Friends of the Boyne cleaned the Boyne River
* Friends of the Jordan cleaned the Jordan River
* Petoskey’s Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council took on the Bear River
* Boardman River Clean Sweep cleaned the Sturgeon
* and a fifth group of volunteers cleaned the Pigeon River.
Additional support for the River Sweep program comes from Conservation Resource Alliance, Big Bear Adventures, Charlevoix Conservation District, Michigan Department of Natural Resources and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
Our thanks to the our river sweepers for keeping the program going this year and for helping to minimize trash along the Boyne River.